Health Concerns, What is Mold?

Molds are organisms found in the environment that aid in breaking down organic materials. Mold can be found indoors and outdoors. They are also known as mildew or fungi. Mold is made up of mold spores that can travel through the air.

Inhaling these spores can cause allergic reactions such as asthma attacks, headache, sneezing, runny nose and skin rashes. Mold spores can also cause irritation to the eyes, nose, throat and lungs whether you are allergic to mold or not.

Mold can cause Hypersensitivity Pneumontis (This closely resembles bacterial pneumonia). Some molds may produce toxic by-products called mycotoxins. Little information is known on the health affects of these mycotoxins. Research is on going. However researchers suggest that we avoid all contact with these mycotoxins.

Most varieties of mold are not carcinogenic, however there are some molds that are carcinogenic. The only way to tell which mold may be present in your home is to collect a sample to send to the lab.

Just Call Us!